Thursday December 8, 2011


Howdy all…from Medford Oregon!!

Left right on schedule…7am for a projected 630am start!! Ja ja ja

Hmmm…only 877 km according to the calculations…but I have noticed that the new and LARGER tires are giving me wacky numbers on the odometer. Sign says 100 miles to something and I pass it at 90’ish. Oh well.

Truck ran great…a small smell…might be burning off the new manifolds. Here’s hoping it is not something else…ka-boom!! Ja ja ja

The small issue…as I pulled into Medford, the fan in the cab of the truck (a/c…heat etc) is now making a noise. It could be a long 5000 km…or if it stops working…it could be a very HOT trip in Mexico!! 

Might stop off at a Nissan dealer if I see one on the way. Almost have built a brand new pick up truck!!

Currently 835pm and I am going to make this a quick update…as I am pooped!! I have spent the past few minutes changing my stay for mañana. I was headed to Bakersfield CA, but that is only 10 hours away and the next day to Nogales AZ is an 11 hour drive…and I lose an hour on the clock.

So I am now headed to Barstow CA which is about 11.5 hours of driving and that will make my Saturday trip shorter, allowing me more rest before I bolt across the border!!

These next notes are in point form…recorded on my fancy digital voice recorder and then transcribed here. No more making notes while bombing down the highway.

-happy to see the dry weather…will make the drive so much better

-border was a 1 minute wait to get to the guard and only 5 minutes of questions before he let me through. I think he wants to retire to a beach.

-prior to the border…hello to 1.75 litros of Crown Royal at the duty free store. For $36? Should have bought 2!!

-talking about CR…I hope to avoid the sore right shoulder (from driving) as I am using an empty Crown Royal Special Reserve box to prop my elbow on

-you know you have crossed the border when you hear all the cars with studded snow tires

-a full tank of gas is 70 litros in Canada for $90 or so. I just filled up with 17.5 gallons…$65 US

-big accident…18 wheeler into the trees

-it took 4 hours and 45 min into Portland OR…not bad

-Medford is another 275/450km miles from Portland

-you know you are in Oregon when you see huge roadside advertisements for cage fights this weekend?

-I crossed the 45th parallel (again)…1/2 way from equator North pole?

click here for more information:


-one of the problems I had with the truck was poopy gas mileage for the past few tanks (prior to all the work). First tank of the day got me 410km (plus)…phew

-nearing Eugene OR…possible rain as very dark clouds appeared. We saw no rain!!

-reaching for a Clif bar…found a card from Bexico y Max instead!! Gracias mi novia y hijo!!

-FYI…Sha Na Na is playing at the Seven Feathers Resort Dec 15

-just saw some snow frosted pine trees

-drove past Elmer OR…and then Hugo OR

-drove through some VERY beautiful valleys etc

-cleared the mountain pass at Canyon Creek…clear beautiful sunset and then saw this awesome view of the valley below









-beautiful view…just passed the Heaven on Earth restaurant

-crazy fog…

-drove over Jump Off Joe Creek

-Grants Pass fogged in

-Oregon and New Jesery…the only 2 states where you cannot pump your own gas

-Medford 530pm…grabbed some gas, groceries, Subway…and then went to the wrong Hotel 6. I was sent to the right one and discovered the second Motel 6 (out of 10) is the same one Bexico and I stayed in on the second day of our trip down to Mexico in Sept 2010. Who knew?

Motel 6 has one of these:


Good thing as I have some of these:


My FAVORITE cerveza!! Only need 1…zzzzzzz

Here are my travelling companions.


Note Max's swaddle blanket...everyone (including The Bitts) knows you do not touch the bed cover in hotels...yech!!

On the return trip to Huatulco, Bono decided to stay with Max and bring him burgers from Wendys. Oh Bono. Square patties because Wendys “cuts no corners”!!!

I had a quick FaceTime with mis padres to let them know I was safe and sound, and then plugged in the MagicJack to say hola to Bexico. Max knew I was on the phone and let us (and all of North Vancouver) now he was awake…so Bexico gave him some more cough syrup (KIDDING!!!) and called me back.

Have a great Friday everyone!!

Marco, Bexico y Max

No comments:

Post a Comment