Lunes Noviembre 15, 2010


Martes has arrived. Today’s phrase is “hace mucho viento” and it opens the door to people talking more and more to you.

“It is very windy” led to Ricardo at the gate talking about the palm trees and the big leaves that fell off and it led Rosa to telling me that the winds are from the Norte and that then led us to talk about the cool temperature at night as well as no longer needing a/c while the locals no longer use their ventiladors (ceiling fans).

Every time I learn a new phrase, I use it as often as possible and it never fails to start a new or expanded conversation. I have discovered that the Mexican people as a whole do not come out of their way to talk to you, maybe it is culture, maybe it is their self confidence in Ingles or maybe they are used to Gringos who do not speak Espanol or do not try.

But I have also learned and experienced the opposite if you try to talk to them. I have met very few unfriendly people (argh…the young guy at the veggie store) and have seen many frowns turn to smiles when you try to interact.

Ayer when we were at La Bocana, I managed to chase down a tiny crab. I had him in my hands and let him go, and then saw a padre and his hijo walking down the playa. I caught the same crab (not the sharpest crab on the playa) and then approached the padre and his hijo. They did not know what I had but I gestured to them both and then opened my hands. The nino was a bit scared of the crab, but the padre smiled, said something to him in the effect of “don’t be scared” and gave me an appreciative smile. Made my day.

Hoy? Today? Hit the gym and had a great session. Not much chit chat with Rosa, but the patron was in and I gave him the gears for telling me his name was Benjamin when it is really Galdino. He always wants to shake my hand and after seeing him this many times, that is a sign of respect.

Bexico was up early and working the internet. She does her artwork at home and then bids for jobs/projects on line. She is currently a member of 3 or 4 of these freelance websites and that is no easy task. She has to submit work and her profile and has had to take tests as well. All this to join the website let alone get work.

Here is a link to her blog if you are interested.


Coming home from the gym, I took these photos.

A car driving around with a big block of ice on it’s trunk.


And here is a large truck with dos hombres selling bricks out of it. Here in Mexico they use the simple dollar sign as the for sale sign.


Here is a 3 photo sequence of how they manually create the rebar forms that are used in concrete construccion.  They take these big sheets of wire and cut them down to size. They then use this manual machine to bend the sheet into the square form.


They then work up and down the form, securing the two sides together.


And then they have the finished product.



Sabado pasado (last Saturday) I saw two guys doing the cutting and 3 guys doing the form creating. Quite the speedy process.

Came home and had some alberca time and then it was Che to load up for the visit. Picked up this for mi Padre as he is a big fan.


Three rolls in one and 180 hojas (sheets)…should last a few days!!
  
La cena was pollo el muslo y arroz…chicken thighs and rice. The home made shake n’bake works wonders.

So, it is now time to post the blog and watch MNF in Espanol.

Manana it is clean up and organize the condo day. Bexico has yoga at las ocho de la manana (8am) and I have gym. Pick up M&D at 540pm and then the fun starts.

Until manana.

Saludos









No comments:

Post a Comment