Lunes Noviembre 1, 2010



Hola. It is Lunes Noviembre 1!!

Anoche (last night), we had a great dinner at Il Regiletto, a small Italian restaurant on calle Octillo, about 7 minute walk from our condo.

We asked to see la carta and found many items we would like to try. We settled on calamari con sauce marinera and a pizza con Mexican sausage, peppers and we added pepperoni. Dinner started with 2 bebidas, agua con gas for Bexico and Coca Light for mi.

They brought some so-so bread, but they had oil and vinegar on the table for dipping. The calamari was over cooked, but the sauce was great and Bexico was thrilled that it all came on a bed of lettuce, tomato and cucumber.

The pizza we ordered was huge!! Familia means just that!! And all this for $150 pesos ($120 for the za and $10 per size (medio, grande and familia) for the pepperoni. We did our best but had some left over. Por mi casa solved that and the last pieces were wrapped up for us to go.

Off to Blue and we soon had ninos in costume asking us for treats and/or pesos. Older kids wearing just a mask were told no siento. But the young ones were too cute. One little guy dressed up as a Diablo, got a few pesos from Bex, saw her stack of bills and asked for those with a devilish grin on his face. Bex and I laughed!!

Checked email, updated blog and also checked out the beta version of Gabriel the Owls website. This one is much better, but does have a few opportunities of which I will discuss with Lalo manana.

Here is the address (gabrieltheowl.net84.net)…the History and the About Us sections are the ones I translated for them…go easy on me!! Lol.

We walked to the popsicle store and we overcharged $1 peso for our two paletas!! Argh…lol. Bexico had the limon and I went sandia….limon is still #1. The translation for paletas (popsicles) is “ice lolly”…ha ha ha

A short walk home with a pit stop at the ATM. I withdrew $$ from my TD account and was charged $25 pesos since the card was foreign…and then they charged $4 pesos for the IVA tax. A tax on a service charge….gotta love it!!

No photo of this taxi, but as we sat at Blue, we saw a taxi drive by with a guy hanging a 3 foot fish out the passenger side window. You see that in Vancouver or Toronto recently? lol

So, someone wrote me an email saying they want more Bex and Bubba photos, and less taxi photos. What is up with that?

Here is today’s taxi photo and one of me. Hope that satisfies the critics!!


I know what you are thinking…”what a rip off, we have already had a photo from La Crucecita (crew-se-cita)”, but if you look at the photo carefully, it is a taxi from La Crucecita 1…a different collectivo!!

And of course, the photo of myself that I had mentioned.


Me fresh from the gym.

Today started with a chat with Lalo and company. We agreed I would return in dos hora to actually review the website with them. They understood my notes, but wanted to see the site at the same time.

So, off to the gym. Today is a holiday for sure, as the streets were packed, lots of kids out of school and the people still selling the mandarins, orange flowers etc in celebration of Dia de Muerto.

I had heard about the following happen.



Around holiday time (we are currently celebrating a fiesta), the traffic cops pull over all the scooters and tow the ones that don’t have license plates….and there are many of them!!

I am told that the traffic cops do not get paid much $$, so that is why you end up in situations where they are looking for a little something to let you get on your way. In all my trips to Mexico, this has only happened once and it was when I mistakenly went down a one-way street the wrong way. Muy pelligresso (very dangerous) I was told and the guy wrote down $700 on a piece of paper. I told him I did not have that much and he wrote $400. I pulled out $200 from my pockets, he took that and I was on my way.

Continuing the walk to my gym, I saw this guy selling oranges out of his truck. He also had a speaker on the roof of his cab, blaring out a recorded advertisement regarding the naranja he was selling.


Great work out…friggin hot again. Ayer, Rosa was stung by una avispa and had a sore and swollen arm. I told her about anti-histamina and she did not understand. I guess she has never used them. I told her she should go to the pharmacia, but I am not sure she has the pesos, so manana I will bring her some.

Talking about manana, it looks like Bexico, our neighbor and I are headed back to La Bocana to go surfing, sunning and exploring. Hopefully some good photos will follow in manana’s blog.

Regarding the weather, it has been a great past 33 days…average high of 32.3 and a low of 24.8 and no rain. Did I see a forecast of a low of 1 in Toronto later this week? Frio!! Nieve?

Came home from the gym, picked up the laptop and headed to the jewelry store. I thought we were going to go to Blue, sit in the shade and have a Coca Light, but I guess the boys don’t all get along. Kids!! We went across the street to Gabriel’s second shop and used the wi-fi there.  An hour later, the patron Sergio, had made his decisions regarding the website and Lalo had written the decisions down.

Lalo’s brother in Acapulco is creating the website so they have been ping ponging back and forth. Funny stuff as I may not understand all the Mexican traditions, so I am careful in ensuring that the boys know I am only giving an outsiders opinion and some other options.

After meeting Lalo we had time for a float, followed by a trip to Che to pick up cerdo for tonite as well as some items for the next few days.

At the condo’s security gate, they have set up one of these Dia de Muerto tables. You can see in this photo, that it is made of a palm leaf that has been covered with the orange flowers. They have hung platanos, naranje and left a Coca Zero on the table. Items will be added as the day goes on, as these would be favorite items of familia that have passed on. Once a year they come back to visit, and this table allows them to eat and drink their favorite items upon their annual return.


It is currently 8pm here and I am watching MNF…Colts are leading Texans 14-3 with 2 minutes to play in the first half.

Internet news? The site administrator, Oscar, has not been able to get permission to enter the suites below us to try and fix the blocked tubo. So, we are headed to Telmex on Miercoles to try and explain what we need as well as get them to enter this into their computer to create a work order.

Pretty simple needs…an exterior grade wire strung from the Telmex box on the first floor, up the wall to the third floor, along a seam and across the third floor to our door. Then down the door where they will need to drill through concrete to get access to the cable box on the inside of the condo. And of course connect it all.

Shouldn’t be a problem explaining this in Espanol, agree? Lol

Just about headed out to update the blog, but here are two last photos for the day.


This guy was walking down the window in our living room. The geckos come out at night and do a great job eating mosquitos.


Squatchi, dressed up as The Hulk ($10 pesos at Che), headed out trick or treating.

Until manana,

Saludos



No comments:

Post a Comment