Martes Octubre 26, 2010


Buenos dias!!

9am and we are just waiting around for our 8am meeting with Oscar (the Grouch), the site administrator.

At 820am I went to the seguridad gate and asked if Oscar was there. Hector said si, so I asked them to come up to the condo. Hector arrived and said diez minuto as Oscar was on the phone. I am hoping he is talking to someone in regards to our obstruccion en tubo!!

I asked Hector “hablo Oscar el problemo in Espanol?” and he said si. So…our hope is that Hector has talked to Oscar and explained the problem and the possible solutions, and that Oscar has already chosen a solution.

More phrases on stand by….

“es possible arreglar?”…can this be fixed?

“puede arreglalro?”…can you fix this?

“nuevo cable est nessecito”

“pronto”…friendly way to say soon

“el electricista”…elektrehseesta…electrician

Funny addition to the story…Bruno from Telmex said we could get our own guy to run the line and try to save on the $700 peso bill from them. I tried to confirm that we would still need Telmex out to make the connection at the locked Telmex box, but Bruno said the box isn’t locked, but be careful that we don’t fry the other lines if we connect the line ourselves. LOL.

Suffice it to say, I am fine if someone runs the new wire, but we will get Telmex in, to do their thing.

In my email review from last night, our landlords have not been able to secure us a second a/c remote control. She did supply me with a 1-800 number for here in Mexico, and if I cannot find a dealer here in town, that will be my next option. A phone call in Spanglish…esta bueno!!

If anyone out there can find me a LG remote for a modelo M242CS…please let me know!!

Here is today’s collectable….


This taxi is from Bahia Maguey (ba-ee-a…not ba-hai as I had been pronouncing), a bay just up the coast. There are 35 bays including Maguey and Mojon, thus the area is officially Bahias de Huatulco. 

UPDATE

Oscar was actually quite pleasant today. He arrived at 935am for our 8am meeting, and was gone by 940am. We spoke in Spanglish and he understands the problem and the two solutions that I am aware of. He is going to talk to the “association”, I think this is like a strata council, and get back to us.

I stated that “internet es muy importante por mi nobvia trabajo” and then asked when he would get back to us (cuando?). He said hoy (oy), today….which probably means manana.

So our day is back on schedule. I will watch Felicity at 10am and then off to the gym.

Hasta luego.

Today was a day of meeting locals.

A guy in a truck honked at me while I was walking to the gym. Normally I ignore horns because it is usually a taxi looking for a fare, and I normally do not have my glasses on to see who it is. So on the second honk I squinted and saw it was a guy from the gym.

I am not sure if he owns the gym or is the manager, but this hombre is a big boy. Muscles. And he has a dark brooding look, which makes him look tough. I have seen him around the gym and have said hola, but did not expect him to offer me a ride.

It is a 5 minute drive so the talk was quick, but we chatted in Spanglish. I told him my name and asked him his, and he said Benjamin. The gym is called David Sport and he told me David is his hijo, son.

I thought he was going to the gym, but he actually dropped me off and after a hasta luego, he was gone.

Rosa was outside the gym and I asked her “como esta su caeza?” as yesterday she had a head ache and she replied she was buena. I then asked her about Benjamin and she looked confused. She told me his name was Elfego Galdino (dos nombre…two names)…and now I am confused. I will ask him about it next time I see him.

Meanwhile at the end of my biking cardio session, a hombre walks in wearing full street clothes and starts riding the bike. After I was done stretching he asks my age in Espanol. I tell him and then ask him por que (why?) and in Spanglish, he says I look 32 or so. He then proudly tells me he is 40 and I congratulation him as he did look fit, dress shirt, pants and all.

I introduced myself and found out he was Fransisco Marcos, again dos nombres. Finished my work out, had another Espanol lesson from Rosa and headed out looking for a store that might sell me an a/c remote. Before I left the gym, the Eagles were playing Hotel California and Rosa knows the words in Ingles. My lesson for Rosa was asking her if she knew where the real Hotel California was located. It took some convincing, but it is una hora norte of Cabo San Lucas on the Baja peninsula. I have a post card that Stuart brought me back, I will take it to the gym to show Rosa.

After I left the gym, I first found a barber shop and manana I might stop in por el corte de pelo…a hair cut. He has pictures and I have a libro (translation book)…might be a wild hair cut!!

Then I found a repair shop with the LG logo and asked “se vende aqui” and was told no. Then a hombre at the back of the store asked to see the remote and asked his assistant something in Espanol. She gave me a name, phone number and email address of someone who might sell them.

Walked to Gabriel the Owl to ask Lalo to call, when I realized it was not a local number. We went across to the phone store (a store where you can go in and use one of 10 plus phone booths for both local, Nacional or Internacional calls) and found out the number is in Salina Cruz…of course it is….we were there last week!! Lol

Sergio, one of the sons who now manages the jewelry store, thought he knew of a place that might sell remotes, so I went and got the truck and we drove to a few places. First place was closed but he took down the phone number. Second place was locking up, third place was gone and the fourth place might be able to bring in a Universal remote. We realized it was around 2pm, siesta/lunch time, thus the stores were closed or closing.

We will wait and see if the first store (the largest) carries these remotes, and if they don’t, we might make a deposit on the Universal one and have it brought to town. Sergio also said Puerto Escondido is bigger and may have them there, so we might hold off as we hope to go to PE soon.

I did learn that you must ask full sentences in some situations. I saw a fifth refrigeration parts store on my way back to the condo, so I stopped in and asked “se vende?” and showed the remote. The answer was si and then I was given a piece of paper with a name and the Spanish name for the remote. I was a bit confused as both counter peeps then left me alone. I asked “cuanto questa?” and he said $400 pesos and went back to paperwork.

So now I ask “cuando?” (when) and he says “no venta aqui”…no sell here. I had asked if you could buy remotes, not if they were for sale “aqui”…here. Doph. So now I have a contact in Salina Cruz, and a piece of paper that states: “zona de talleres, tienda refrig climas…” which I think means Mechanical Zone, refrig and climate store. Duh…no specific store, just a sector. Seriously, I love this. You just have to get used to this way of life.

Well, after that adventure I was quite hot, so I met Bexico at the alberca and went for a float. The weather forecast had been cloudy, but it turned out to be one of the regular weather days…mainly sunny, a few periods of high clouds and then more clouds rolling in between 4 and 5pm. Lunes we had highs of 32.8 and a low of 25.6…as per my indoor/outdoor thermometer!!

Veggie run…Martes is the day the truck arrives and then we came back for la cena, pechuga de pollo con y papas (chicken breasts and potatoes).

A great read that I just finished (thanks Padre), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I think the movie is out in Canada/USA…anyone seen it? Any good? And the 7 books I ordered off Chapters.ca have arrived at mi padres condo (el padre is “father” and los padres is “parents”) and will be brought down along with those pods and a few 3 prong extension cords!!

Ok, 815pm…off to update the blog.

Hope all is well where ever you are.

Saludos  

RJ, can you please drop Bexico an email letting her know that you and Roly have arrived safely?

A bit cooler out tonight. Lots of gringos in town and the parking lot at the condo has seemed to fill up over night. Tourist/high season is coming!!

PS...915pm and Oscar did not get back to us yet...manana!! lol




No comments:

Post a Comment